Typhoon Haikui: Hundreds of damaged cars, alert upgraded to highest level in China image

Hundreds of vehicles are damaged as the third typhoon in a week bore down on the Chinese east coast.

Typhoon Haikui struck China on Wednesday morning, packing winds of up to 110 km per hour (68 mph), prompting officials to evacuate nearly 2 million people and grounding hundreds of flights to and from Shanghai and Zhejiang province.

In addition, local authorities have halted part of metro lines services, cancelled high-speed trains and ferries.
Some 30,000 boats have been at port in Shanghai since Sunday in anticipation of the storm. All outdoor group activities have been banned. City parks and summer classes are cancelled, and outdoor construction has stopped.

Drivers were advised to keep their car within limited speed on the Fengpu Bridge section of S4 Highway, the Minpu Bridge section of S32 Highway and southeastern sections along the suburban G1501 Highway.

Reports of damage and possible casualties have yet to be released by the government.

The China Meteorological Administration had issued a red alert for Typhoon Haikui, the highest so far this year, and said it was expected to bring heavy rains and strong winds for 48 hours.
Experts said Haikui could be the worst typhoon to directly affect Shanghai since 2005 when the city was struck by the deadly typhoon Matsa.