US: Major automakers to reveal safety agreement this week image

Several important global carmakers and the US government are said to announce a voluntary safety-related accord on Friday at the Detroit Auto Show.

Amid so many worrisome safety-related scandals, changes aimed to prevent such cases are mandatory. This is the reason for the voluntary agreement said to be revealed on Friday by a group of automakers and the US regulators, according to company and government officials. The document is supposed to improve safety throughout the automotive industry and push for major changes into this direction. The accord could lead to major safety reforms, marking a new step in the way automakers and US officials are cooperating after a year full of fines, recalls and investigations caused by major companies like General Motors, Fiat Chrysler, Honda and others. The agreement, under discussion for several weeks, would also focus on cars’ software security improvement and the use of early warning data to detect and prevent potential safety defects, sources said. Under the accord, a new government-industry body is to be created to work on auto safety enhancement. Among carmakers engaged in such talks are GM, Toyota Motor, Ford Motor, Daimler AG, Fiat Chrysler, BMW AG, Honda, Nissan Motor and Hyundai Motor.

The agreement is to be announced at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit by US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and top auto executives, sources told Reuters. The news agency also revealed that, in a letter sent last week to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a group of 16 automakers said the industry support of an agreement “reaffirms our shared commitment to safety, and signals to the public the areas in which government and industry intend to collaborate to further improve automotive safety.”

Via Reuters