Tesla Motors, the youngest publicly traded US automaker, has decided to refute a report that cited as a source an internal slide showcasing the production for the affordable Model 3 electric auto to be scheduled for 2018.
Inside EVs released a report showing as a source a slide from a PDF presentation document by Tesla chief technology officer J.B. Straubel on June 15 that was used at the 2015 EIA Conference in Washington, D.C. The slide stated “$35K 200 Mi-Range EV Planned For 2018? – referring to the mainstream Model 3 electric auto that has a tentative entry price of $35,000, around half of what a Model s luxury electric sedan commends today. Tesla has so far said the production schedule for the Model 3 is envisioned for 2017. And Tesla says the intention is still a fact: “Model 3 remains on schedule. As we’ve stated, we plan to show Model 3 in 2016 and begin production in 2017. Straubel’s slide is a high-level look into when Model 3 will be in full production,” commented a spokesperson from the company. The planned Model 3 might have several different body variants, including sedan and crossover and is the company’s upcoming high-volume, mass-market electric vehicle. It has an estimated target range of 200 miles, will come with one and dual motor setups and could have additional higher-range variants just like its larger and more expensive Model S brethren.
Elon Musk, the billionaire entrepreneur and co-founder of Tesla Motors, acting as chief executive officer, envisions the Model 3 lifting the brand’s total annual sales to around half a million units – Model S had a production run of 35,000 vehicles last year. The target is to double the number this year as the company will begin deliveries later on this year of the Model X crossover.