May 27 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Two men were happiest at the end of the Monaco grand prix — one winning the race and the other moving clear with a lead in the world championship.
Mark Webber became Australia’s first two-time Monaco winner, resisting enormous pressure from five of his rivals who all passed the chequered flag within 6 seconds of the victorious Red Bull.
“Mark was very disciplined,” said his boss Christian Horner on British BBC television. “He did what he needed to do.”
Behind Mercedes’ Nico Rosberg, Fernando Alonso finished third as spots of rain began to fall more heavily late on Sunday.
Ferrari’s Spaniard therefore moves three points clear in the drivers’ standings, ahead of the Red Bull duo who are in joint second place.
It is the first time in F1 history that six different winners have won the opening six grands prix of a season.
“This is a golden era for formula one,” said former driver and commentator David Coulthard.
F1’s latest 2012 winner, however, does not fully agree, Webber insisting that for the actual drivers and teams, the inconsistency of the season so far has often been “frustrating”.
“Hopefully we can get a bit of routine now,” he said.
As for the protest threat hanging over the provisional race result, Red Bull designer Adrian Newey – who collected the trophy from Prince Albert – insisted the floor of his RB8 is legal.
“We have a letter from Charlie Whiting saying categorically that it’s legal so we’re not worried,” he said.
Horner said on Sky television he would be “disappointed” if Red Bull’s rivals do lodge a protest.