/ Motorsport / Berger urges Ferrari to dump Massa

Berger urges Ferrari to dump Massa

Linked In Share

Oct.9 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Former Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger thinks the great Italian team should drop Felipe Massa.

However, after the Brazilian at Suzuka finally returned to the podium after a two-year absence, all the signs are that Ferrari is set to sign his 2013 contract.

Austrian Berger is perplexed.

“This makes no sense,” he told Germany’s Auto Bild. “It’s never just about one race.

“I would put Hulkenberg or di Resta in his place. They are young and fast — exactly what Ferrari needs to fight for the constructors’ title,” added Berger.

Ferrari apparently does not agree.

One team insider told Auto Motor und Sport: “Among the young guys we see nobody about whom we can say ‘We must have him’.”

Indeed, Massa, 31, is putting out the message that his future is now safe.

“The conversation we have been having until now has been that it (a new contract) should happen,” he told Portuguese-language media at Suzuka on Sunday.

“I’m hoping it will be confirmed as soon as possible.”

Team boss Stefano Domenicali is also on message: “We will make an announcement soon,” he is quoted by Italy’s La Stampa.

If and when the news is confirmed, it will mean the seats at all of the top teams are essentially in place, with the rest of the 2013 grid to then follow suit.

Ferrari-powered Sauber, tipped to re-sign Japanese Kamui Kobayashi after his hugely-popular Suzuka podium, has announced it will settle its 2013 lineup before November’s finale.

And chief executive Monisha Kaltenborn also hinted about Massa’s future, suggesting speculation the Brazilian could return to Sauber if he is dropped by Ferrari is wide of the mark.

“It (Sauber’s decision) has, for a change, nothing to do with Ferrari,” she is quoted by the Sun.

Ferrari is expected to announce the Massa news either immediately before or immediately after this weekend’s Korean grand prix.

“This second place (in Japan) is a very important result in a decisive moment for him,” Domenicali is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

Asked if that means Massa is staying in 2013, he added: “Let’s not take a second step before we’ve taken the first.”

by Mircea - Monday, October 8th, 2012 - filed under Motorsport. Image credit: .
Linked In Share
Related Articles


Discuss: Berger urges Ferrari to dump Massa

One Response to “Berger urges Ferrari to dump Massa”

  1. mevrocket says:

    Have to say, there are many drivers on the grid faster than him. He rarely competes at the same level as Alonso who Hamilton, as a rookie, put under considerable pressure when he was at McLaren. Bearing in mind a lot of the younger drivers have been peers of LH, Vettel and others I think Ferrari are making the wrong decision if they want constructors titles. Mind you, unlike McLaren they prefer a more harmonious approach within their team with a definite pecking order between the drivers, and perhaps they want to keep Alonso happy, which he might not be if they got another top driver on board.

Leave a Reply
















Inautonews Facebook PageInautonews RSS FeedInautonews TwitterInautonews Youtube Channel

Sign up to receive our email newsletter on your email. It's safe. No spam!

Whiting plays down grid restart fears
Whiting plays down grid restart fearsJul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) F1 race director Charlie Whiting has played down concerns about next year's grid restarts. "We ...
Lopez witnessed abduction of female friend
Lopez witnessed abduction of female friendJul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Lotus team owner Gerard Lopez was in the middle of a kidnapping incident, according to reports in the ...
Wolff reveals Ecclestone ‘row’ over social networks
Wolff reveals Ecclestone ‘row’ over social networksJul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Toto Wolff has revealed he had "a long row" with F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone. Last month, ...
Team drivers surprised by Caterham sale
Team drivers surprised by Caterham saleJul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Caterham's change of ownership this week also caught its race drivers by surprise. "It was as much ...
Raikkonen to ‘probably’ quit after 2015
Raikkonen to ‘probably’ quit after 2015Jul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Kimi Raikkonen has revealed he will "probably" retire from formula one at the end of next ...
Marmorini ‘in danger’ at Ferrari – report
Marmorini ‘in danger’ at Ferrari – reportJul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Yet another big name could be set for the Ferrari axe. After the fabled Italian team's poor start to ...
Susie Wolff lives her dream amid criticism
Susie Wolff lives her dream amid criticismJul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Susie Wolff will live her dream on Friday at Silverstone, but she is also facing criticism. The Scot ...
Alonso not looking beyond ‘two year contract’
Alonso not looking beyond ‘two year contract’Jul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Fernando Alonso says he is not ready to look beyond his current Ferrari contract. Although their ...
Button on the market after Dennis criticism
Button on the market after Dennis criticismJul.4 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Jenson Button has declared himself on the market, in the wake of McLaren supremo Ron Dennis' ...
Haas makes early F1 debut as Ferrari sponsor
Haas makes early F1 debut as Ferrari sponsorJul.3 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Haas, F1's new team for 2016, has arrived in formula one earlier than expected. Ferrari announced on ...
Ferrari offers Brawn EUR 5m for F1 return – report
Ferrari offers Brawn EUR 5m for F1 return – reportJul.3 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Ferrari has set its million-dollar sights on luring Ross Brawn back to formula one. That is the ...
Renault shakeup sees Jalinier go, Abiteboul return
Renault shakeup sees Jalinier go, Abiteboul returnJul.3 (GMM/Inautonews.com) Deep into its difficult first season of the new V6 era, Renault has made changes at the very ...
Next-gen Hyundai Genesis Coupe might pack a 5.0L V8
Next-gen Hyundai Genesis Coupe might pack a 5.0L V8The next generation of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is said to be significantly updated as the model in question will probably get a ...
Ferrari 375-Plus sells for more than 10m GBP at Goodwood
Ferrari 375-Plus sells for more than 10m GBP at GoodwoodA classic Ferrari 375-Plus has managed to find itself a new owner at the 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed, who has paid no less ...
Hyundai Veloster might not get a second generation
Hyundai Veloster might not get a second generationHyundai is planning to pull the plug on the Veloster as the model in question has seen weak sales. When it was first unveiled a ...
Read more automotive news


2013 Frankfurt Motor Show Live Images

Spy-Shots of Cars
Spy-Shots of Cars
ferrari f355 crash croatia 1
Citroen DS 6WR 1
Ferrari FXX Evo 1
Hyundai i10 Sport 1
BMW 4-Series Coupe, Convertible and Gran Coupe get updated by JMS 1
lamborghini-murcielago crash stuttgart flames 1
Spy-Shots of Cars
Dacia_picnic
Spy-Shots of Cars
toyota fcv colorado 1

More automotive from inautonews
The next generation of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is said to be significantly updated as the model in question will probably get a 5.0 liter V8 engine under its hood. While the future is not that certain for the Hyundai Veloster, which might not receive a second generation, the South Korean based ...
read more
Inautonews Editors Section
F1: 2014 Austrian GP review
F1: 2014 Austrian GP reviewNico Rosberg's victory was a cold shower for many, despite the fact that Mercedes needed to work harder than at any other race this year. Some fans ...
Car investment – which are the next classics?
Car investment – which are the next classics?Some prefer the stock exchange, others buy gold and some invest in properties, but there is a small group of people who prefer to try their luck with ...
Where brand new cars go to die
Where brand new cars go to dieHundreds of millions of brand new cars are left to rust in huge parking lots all over the globe after no one wants to buy them. The 2014 world ...

Editors Section
Inautonews Editors Section
2012 Safest Cars list 2011 Safest Cars [Video] 2011 IIHS Safest Cars [Video] 2011 EuroNCAP Safest Cars 2010 Safest Cars [Video]

Latest in Safety GM has almost recalled all its modelsThe US automaker’s recall frenzy was started with the 2.6 million older cars called back for a ... Recall roundup: Chrysler Town & Country, Dodge Grand Caravan and JourneyThe North American based automaker Chrysler is currently recalling the Chrysler Town & Country, ...
Safety Section